Tuesday, July 21, 2009

After three days of what felt like endless meandering, my rail fence (which has been waiting its turn since November) is quilted and the binding is machine stitched into place and it really shouldn't take all that long to get it hand stitched down into place.



This is the most densely quilted of my quilts. The purple thrift store sheet I used for my backing isn't terribly photogenic, but can you see all of that wonderful texture? It's making me a bit giddy.



In an unusual example of using what I've got, I used thread that came in a gift pack with my sewing machine. It's a funky shade of purple that actually blended nicely with the color of the sheet. Until I ran out and had to switch over to charcoal, but the quilt is so busy that I dare anyone to find it without serious searching. And it's a utility quilt -- if I can do a scrappy binding, why not use my thread the same way?

I probably would've had enough purple if I hadn't made the quilting so dense.

What really surprised me was the amount of lint left by the obscenely overpriced thread that came from the Janome dealer. It actually gummed up the machine's needle threader.

Makes me feel much more confident about the thread I usually use -- Essential from Connecting Threads. I've always been happy with it, but I keep hearing stories about how linty it is. There's lint when I clean my machine after a lot of sewing, but nowhere near as much as the "good" thread left.

I thought I was tired of meandering and reading to switch back to piecing for awhile, but now I'm not so sure -- this has been fun!

3 comments:

SewCalGal said...

Beautiful quilt. I haven't seen anyone use a sheet for backing in ages. I'm really happy to see that you have done this....even if it may have it's challenges.

Thanks for sharing. Love this.

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

Pat said...

Glad to hear you like Essential thread - I just ordered a whole bunch!
I love your wonderfully scrappy rail fence!

charity-crafter said...

So many times a rail fence quilt can look-well...routine, blah, just ok...but your color choice is really wow! Love it.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails