Saturday, June 25, 2011

How do you bind a crazy quilt?



I found this gorgeous little bit of crazy quilt today at an estate sale. Now I'm trying to figure out how to finish it. I don't want to add a backing and cover up the evidence of all that hand-stitching, but I want to finish the raw edges.



I'd love to know if this is left over from assembling a larger top, or if these four blocks are all there was.



How did they finish those old Victorian crazy quilts? I've been Googling with no luck.

2 comments:

Sarah Craig said...

I'd probably bind it with black velvet or satin.....

Carli The Quilter said...

Hi There,

Lovely little piece of crazy quilting history you have found. Great piece! So your question was how to bind a crazy quilt?
I have a whole page dedicated on my own blog http://www.goodearthquilting.blogspot.com to only my crazy quilting addiction.
How you bind this quilt, is first cut your batting and backing out with 2 inches to spare. Then do either machine quilting or hand quilting to bind the three layers together. Then bind as you would any other quilt. I don't recommend binding with velvet....your stitch ripper is likely going to get all your attention. Bind in a varible colored cotton fabric. Enjoy!
PS. I follow you, lovely blog!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails