Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Quinn's Trip Around the World - the top's done!

The flimsy for Quinn's green Trip Around the World quilt is together. Here it is, draped over the couch. I need to find a better spot to get a picture of the whole thing because it came out huge. I think the original plan might've been to make it 48" square...then it went up to 60"....and then to 72"

Because if you've got enough green fabric, you might as well make it big, right?



It took me four days to make the blocks and put together the top for 30s Barn Raising. The Blue Bargello top took two mornings.

It took me a year to make this quilt top. First I couldn't decide if I wanted to make another Scrappy Bargello or a Trip Around the World. Then I was afraid I wouldn't have enough green. Then I knew I had more than enough green, but I was afraid that, forgotten and buried somewhere in my sewing room, perfect bits of green were going to be left out.

Now that I've got the top together, I'm not sure quite what to do with myself. This has been my fifteen minutes of daily piecing, the project that was sitting right next to my sewing machine. I've got to pull something else together right now, or I'll take the day off, and then tomorrow, and then the day after that. Lynne over at The Patchery Menagerie has a great post about how hard it is to get back to work once you've lost your momentum.

I've got a bag full of pieces for another Extra Scrappy Pinwheels, which I need to make because I gave away the first one. It was supposed to be mine, but I gave it away. I should have all of the pieces cut -- and if I don't, now would be a good time to find out, right?

While I'm doing that, I need to start sorting scraps and cutting squares. Have you seen the postage stamp qults over at Coloradolady? I have got so many plans for postage stamp quilts....

This post is linked to WIP Wednesday over at Freshly Pieced and Fabric Tuesday at Quilt Story. And I forgot to mention that, although he still loves all things green, my seven-year-old does not like his quilt.

8 comments:

Lucy | Charm About You said...

It's wonderful!! My son loves his robot quilt but will NOT have it on his bed?! Kids eh!?

Linda said...

It's beautiful! Great job.

Teresa in Music City said...

Are you serious??? What's not to love? Kids!!!! Give him a month and he'll be in love, guaranteed! It is quite beautiful! And I'm not even that fond of green.....

Jan said...

That is just hysterical that he doesn't like his quilt!!
I'm betting you'll find a new project before you know it!

Denise :) said...

Bless his heart...perhaps this too shall pass?? Gracious, I think it's *gorgeous*! And I did see the postage stamp quilts on Suzanne's blog -- *gorgeous* inspirations there! :)

Laura said...

I love the green quilt! Perhaps the seven year old will change his mind someday. Get it quilted and set aside for his teen years? His college quilt?

Or you could gift it to me instead. LOL!

Missy Shay said...

I love all those greens! What a great idea!

Lynette said...

Hey, I just love how that turned out! What a wonderful scrappy feel without losing the integrity of the Trip. Kudos!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails