Tuesday, April 10, 2012

just like in the books

My childhood was full of books, and the books I read when I was little were full of children who found cocoons and waited for the butterflies to emerge...or chased fireflies...or kept tadpoles in a jar to watch them turn into frogs.

I didn't get to do those things as a child.

There aren't any fireflies in Oregon. I did find a monarch caterpillar once as a kid, on the weeds between our house and the neighbor's, but I don't think I've seen one since. I never got to keep tadpoles in a jar.

Which is probably why I'm a little giddy about this --



See that clear bulgy thing in the middle? Hubby, who knows these things, tells me it's a frog mass. And it's in my very own yard!

The pond is full of frogs, which we hear but rarely see. (The only thing I liked about the old washing machine was that when it beeped that the load was done, a frog would sometimes answer it.)

I'm trying to decide whether to leave the frog mass where it is, or see if Alex wants to clean out her old aquarium and bring them inside. I'd like to let them be, but they're in a part of the yard that isn't supposed to have water, so if things start to dry out too much we'll probably move them or bring them in.

I love living in the country.

This post is linked to Works for me Wednesday at We are THAT family.

6 comments:

Tina said...

One year when my sons were young, the frogs mated and laid eggs in our above ground pool . It was awesome to watch the grow into tadpoles and then frogs.

Denise :) said...

I love living in the country too, for this very reason!! I can't wait to watch your frog mass evolve!! :)

QueenB said...

We live in outer suburbs and we have had frog mass in the old bath tub out the back which we keep goldfish in. They did actually hatch one year. We had moved the mass to a fish tank, It was great fun to watch the development. enjoy

HeatherK @ A Reformed Heath'n said...

This is so fun! We were listening to the frogs down here the other night. How fun to watch them from the very beginning!

tara said...

That is so awesome. I have a pond and in the spring a big toad shows up and croaks for a mate for weeks. Sadly our tadpoles bever make it but we love seeing them

Mary K said...

I live in town and we have 2 water features. Both gets frogs and boy are they loud. They are tiny tree frogs and it is funny when they ALL start singing. I now can sleep through them. It is so cool. Oregon is great!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails