Wednesday, June 13, 2012

what I need is a Hoosier Cabinet



I'm not as trusting as the heroine of A Deadly Grind, the first in Victoria Hamilton's new Vintage Kitchen Mysteries series. If a helpful stranger offered to help me carry my newest treasure up onto the house and started asking me questions about our alarm system and who lived in the house, I wouldn't be answering them.

I'm also not as gutsy -- if a guy wound up dead on my porch, apparently killed with my old meat grinder, I'm not sure I'd keep living in the house!

But I did fall in love with the dusty old Hoosier cabinet right along with her. Just take a look at these things! Our house was built in 1920, when they would've been the latest and greatest thing. The trouble is, even if I could find and afford one, I wouldn't have a place to put it -- unless I gave up my sewing corner. Not gonna happen.

Maybe I should just cross stitch one. Or, since I'm wildly daydreaming here, what about quilting one like those neat bookshelf and jar quilts that are so popular?

While I'm daydreaming about what my kitchen might've originally looked like, Antique Homestyle has lots of pictures.

And I'll be watching for the next Vintage Kitchen Mystery, because escapism is even more fun with Pyrex and old cabinets!

3 comments:

Mary said...

Hoosier Cabinets are great for storing sewing stuff in, too. You can have your cake and eat it, too.

Laura said...

I've got a hoosier cabinet, complete with a working flour sifter, in my family room. I use it to store my cross stitching stash and ribbon. I recently went looking for another one to put in the utility room. They are expensive now! We bought ours from my DH's aunt for $60, it was in perfect shape, and she was glad to get rid of it.

mary said...

Just finished the book and even if my house isn't that old I want one. Remember my grandmothers I wonder what happened to it. I definitly want to read more of her books mary

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails