Sunday, March 17, 2013

{what's cooking?} baked zucchini

This week's ingredient was squash. I had a ridiculous time just getting my hands on the zucchini.
 
There was none to be had at the farmer's market. What they had at Grocery Store #1 was overpriced and sad looking. I settled on some from Grocery Store #2, but it wasn't all that great looking.  Then I got home and started putting away the groceries and my squash wasn't in the bags...
 
I wasted half an hour searching the house and yard and the back of the minivan and interrogating my kids before I decided to call the store and see if we'd left them behind. The new cashier, the one who spends an eternity talking to the groceries  while she's bagging them... She didn't put my zucchini or my celery in the bags.
 
It baffles me that my kids can -- and frequently do -- do a better job of bagging groceries than someone who's paid to do it. I've got a limited choice of grocery stores close to home, so if I don't do a good enough job of planning ahead, I'm stuck with either awful prices or awful customer service. Sometimes both.
 
 

Once I finally got my hands on some squash, I baked it.

Cut the zucchini into sticks, coat with egg and seasoned bread crumbs, and bake at 425 degrees for about 20 minutes or so.  Super easy, and the kids enjoy it, especially if there's marinara sauce for dipping.

We also tried some pumpkin baked oatmeal, which was a huge disaster. I'm not linking to the site where I found it because I'm not sure if the blame rests with me or the recipe.

This post is linked to What's Cooking? over at Patchwork Times.

2 comments:

Angie said...

Yum these look so good---I'm saving this recipe. :)

ThreadCatcher said...

My DH might eat these! I will give them a try. Did you do anything about the seeds or just cut and carry on? Thanks for sharing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails