Thursday, July 18, 2013

vintage scraps

I see all of the fabric that falls into my custody as a challenge. Sure, some is so awful that it gets tossed without any hesitation or guilt. Some is nice enough, but not for my purposes, and it goes into a bag to get donated back to the thrift store I found it at in the first place.


When it comes to the weird little vintage scraps, I've got a soft spot.  I can't bring myself to toss them, not when they've survived for this long. And I'm afraid that if I put them in the thrift store bag, someone else will toss them.  Like those pieces I wrote about on Sunday. I was determined to use both.

I'm always needing little containers to sort things into, and I've been meaning to make one of these little trash catchers made from discarded jeans ever since I saw them on Bonnie's Quiltville blog three years ago. (I'll even admit that I've had the pair of jeans I'm going to use sitting near my sewing machine for that long. I did eventually use the tops of the legs to back some potholders, so it's not quite as bad as it sounds!)

 There was just enough of this pink floral print to make a little trash catcher. I boxed the bottom corners, lined it in muslin and folded the top down so that all of the seams are finished. Because lately I'm weird that way. If I was going to do it over again, I'd make it a bit wider and shorter, but I was working with the fabric I had.

Does the fact that a piece of fabric is really old make you more likely to hang onto it? Or is it just me?

I'll be linking up to Finish it Up Friday, Can I get a Whoop Whoop?Get Crafty Fridays, House of Hepworths and Freedom Fridays.

2 comments:

Jessica Hadden said...

You are most certainly NOT alone! We are lovers of vintage! We are custodians of history! You rock!

Regina said...

Love this - it IS hard to let any of it go...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails