Thursday, August 22, 2013

Meet Marilyn!


Unless I'm working up a submission for someone else, I rarely draw out my quilts in advance. I start with an idea in my head and sometimes I get what I'm picturing and sometimes it comes out a little different.

With Marilyn, I made so many changes along the way that I didn't know for sure what I was getting until the top was assembled.

The quilt started out as a plan to use up a yard of flannel with perfume bottles and roses and hand mirrors that I'd originally bought to make pajama pants for my little girl.


My go-to plan for using up great backing fabric is to make a simple Irish Chain, and that's what I thought I was going to do for this quilt.  I have a huge hunk of this blue print that I can't for the life of me remember buying...it must be from one of those Craigslist deals a few months back. Wherever it came from, I like the way the swirls look with the backing fabric.

Then I started thinking of names. The girliest-girl name I could come up with...one that conjured up atomizers and hand mirrors and fancy lipstick tubes.

Marilyn.

And from there, I decided I wanted facets, so what about alternating snowball blocks with the nine patches that would form the chain? And what about setting them on point? With more blue for the setting triangles around the outer edges?

This post is linked to I Gotta Try That, Sew Much Ado, Finish it Up Friday, Can I get a Whoop Whoop?Get Crafting Friday, Pinworthy Projects, and Freedom Fridays, Wonderful at Home, and Hooking Up With HOH, Inspired Friday.


2 comments:

ipatchandquilt said...

Congratulations on this finsih! Great work!!!
Esther
esthersipatchandquilt at yahoo dot com
Ipatchandquilt dot wordpress dot com

Anna said...

Lovely...
Anna

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails