Monday, November 18, 2013

Hunter Star with the AccuQuilt Go!

Hunter Star is one of the traditional blocks that I've been fascinated (and intimidated) by ever since I started quilting. Trapezoids and diamonds scare me, a fact that I promptly forgot when I saw the new AccuQuilt dies and dreamed up a baby quilt that would use the Hunter Star Block.


But this is going to work out. One of the things I love about die cutting is that it gives me accurate pieces so, instead of worrying about cutting and piecing, all I have to worry about is the piecing. That's the only way I ever had the courage to tackle my two color Drunkard's Path quilt, Cabbage Roses. And by the time I had it done, I was comfortable with curves. 


I really like the layout of this die. One layer of fabric gets you all of the light or dark shapes needed for a pair of 6" squares. It's laid out to cut both the "A" and "A Reversed" pieces without using a double layer of fabric, and the pieces are tightly clustered together, which will make it good for cutting scraps. Now all I've got to do is remember which way those pesky diamonds go!

To see what other quilters are up to, head over to Design Wall Monday at Patchwork Times.

11 comments:

Missie of Traditional Primitives said...

Looks great Michelle! Beautiful bright color! My daughter' shirts quilt at age 15 was the hunter star using foundation paper piecing. I had the paper pattern for about 15 years and she chose that one. It turned out beautiful! Yours will too!

Gari in AL said...

I have always wanted to make a hunter's star quilt. Maybe I will look into the die since your block looks so good.

Deb@asimplelifequilts said...

Wow! Blocks like this are why I would get an AccuQuilt. Trapezoids and diamonds are intimidating for sure!

Libby in TN said...

Hunter Star is one of my all-time favorites. So many ways to make it. And many more ways to set it. I'll be trying the Jan Krantz method at Pigeon Forge in March. She does it with strip piecing. Can't wait to see how that works.

Mary said...

Looks like one I need to put on my wish list. It makes such a striking quilt block. Lucky you to get the dies sent to you to try. Mary C in WA

Louisa said...

How pretty! And it looks like those shapes are all pre-trimmed to make the putting together very straightforward. I'm looking forward to seeing this one when it's done!

Chris Dodsley @made by ChrissieD said...

So interesting to see you using the cutter, haven't tried one myself, great looking block too :D

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

Your block is gorgeous, but looks very difficult even after the cutting. Great job!

Plum Cox said...

Makes me want to rush and buy a die cutter! What a beautiful block!

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

Now that looks like fun, I would love that die! Thanks for sharing.
Freemotion by the River Linky Party Tuesday

Valerie the Pumpkin Patch Quilter said...

This is lovely!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails