Wednesday, January 29, 2014

{Yarn Along} the rest of this should be easy...

The letter is done and the back of the sweater is cast on. I've counted my stitches twice and measured the front and compared it to other sweaters that fit.  Now this project can live next to the couch and grow slowly while I'm watching TV with my husband and kids. No counting rows, no measuring for a long, long time... it's hit the point where it's going to be absolutely mind-numbing knitting for quite a few evenings to come.



I just finished reading Independent Study, the second book in the Testing series of young adult novels. I read the first book a while back and grabbed this one at the library when I saw that it was out, but I don't know if I'll be reading the next one. I like futuristic dystopias. I don't like the way that this book feels like it was written to glorify standardized testing. Cia is one of the first students from her colony chosen for testing in years. What she doesn't realize until it's too late, because the memories of those who survive the testing are wiped, is that the penalty for failing the test is death. (Ever need a real incentive to learn how to do that math problem where you drop a ball off a building and calculate how many times it bounces before it stops?)

These kids are full of information about history and science and politics -- all so they can fill in the right blanks. I was left wondering what happens to the members of the society who aren't brilliant, or maybe don't want to go into STEM fields. It feels like I'm reading propaganda.

For more pretty knitting projects to drool over, check out On the Needles at Patchwork Times and Work in Progress Wednesdays at Tami's Amis




1 comment:

Auntie Em said...

Very nice looking letter! I've never done anything like that before.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails