Saturday, February 01, 2014

Dot to Dot

Hobbies on a Budget is hosting their 2014 online quilt show, so I went searching for a quilt that you haven't seen over and over again in recent months....and I found one that I'd forgotten about. If you haven't been reading my blog since it began, you probably haven't seen Dot To Dot.


As soon as I got this one quilted and bounded, it was neatly folded and tucked away to keep it safe from my children. And no one, not even Teenage Daughter, found it. If I made this quilt now, I'm betting it would be on her bed before I even noticed that it was gone! 

I love this quilt for its fabrics. The best of them came from thrift store scrap bags. At the time, this was an ambitious project for me. I quilted it on the longarm and tried to stretch my skills a bit, but I've never loved the quilting.


Now I'm wondering how hard it would be to rip that quilting out and redo it with some freemotion that could transform it into a quilt I would really love...think feathers in those rings.... Have you ever redone the quilting on a finished piece? Can I do it without taking off the backing and binding?

The pictures I took today aren't capturing the colors of this quilt -- this one of the finished top shows the colors off better.

HPIM1737

I'm linking this post to Throw Back Thursday at Krista Quilts. 

4 comments:

Hobbies on a Budget said...

What a beautiful quilt! I love the colors and the circles. I have never tried to redo the quilting. Wonder how that will work? Thanks for linking up in this Online Quilt Show!

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Very colorful Michelle! Love it!
hugs,
Jann

Heidi said...

Not sure how much time this would take for a large quilt but "skinning a quilt" by DebbieHQ on youtube might be helpful to you. You would have to take off the binding though.

Krista said...

That is a gorgeous quilt. Makes me want to try out that pattern. Thanks for linking up with Throwback Thursday today.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails