Sunday, April 27, 2014

Utilitatian

I finished a project this week, a handknit cover for a leg cast, but I'm not taking pictures of it.

It's ugly. The yarn is Red Heart Super Saver in a less-than-wonderful color left over from Christmas ornaments. There's a band of ribbing in the middle of the foot because it started out as a toe cover and kept falling off, so I picked up stitches and added a heel and cuff. (I'm calling that a design element!) And instead of weaving in the ends, I knotted them and cut the yarn close to the knots so that there are little poky tails.

Despite all of that, I'm happy with it. It keeps toes warm and protected. It fits, despite the fact that there's no pattern I can find online for a full foot leg cast cover and I made the whole thing up on the fly, adding shaping to the top of the foot to compensate for the wonky shape of the cast. (You know how you can kind of try on a toe up sock with the dpns still in place if you're careful? You can't do that trick with a cast. We tried.)

I've thought about knitting a better version and maybe written up the instructions for how I made it, but the one I already made is doing the job. Maybe I'll wait a few days and see how much it actually gets used.

What about you? Have your made projects that are useful but not worthy of being showed off?

Weekly Stash Report 

Fabric Used this Week: 0 yards
Fabric Used year to Date: 2 1/2 yards
Added this Week: 0 yards
Added Year to Date: 40 1/2 yards
Net Added for 2013: 38  yards

Yarn Used this Week: 150 yards
Yarn Used year to Date: 675 yards
Yarn Added this Week: 0 yards
Yarn Added Year to Date: 1500 yards
Net Added for 2013: 825 yards

I'm linking up to Patchwork Times.

1 comment:

DeeDee said...

You and your hubby must have had a fun laugh or two when making and trying on the knitted cast sock. Hope the surgery has helped and that your dear hubby is recovering quickly.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails