Sunday, February 08, 2015

Weekly Stash Report

Teenage Daughter needed to stop at the thrift store, so I checked out the craft stuff. It's mostly habit -- while she's doing her thing, I circle past the children's books to look for old Nancy Drews and the craft stuff to look for hot iron transfers. Once in a while, I find something that needs to come home with me.

This week, I found a pair of Brittany Birch knitting needles for $1.98.  As soon as I picked them up, another woman materialized behind me and told me that those were really good needles and how lucky I was to find them. She's right. They're great needles. I've had some before, but I gave mine away because I almost never knit with straights. But I probably would have bought that pair to hand off to a new knitter because they are such nice needles. Way better, in my mind, than the scrapey metal ones that are everywhere...

I'm so glad that other woman was there to save me from myself. As soon as I put those needles down, they were in her hands.  It made me feel good to see how happy she was with her find -- and then to watch her talk herself out the bags and bags of ruffle yarn that were hanging there at eye level, looking all pretty and tempting. I've got a pretty good immunity to novelty yarns these days.

I've added a sweep through the toy aisle to look for K'Nex so that my boys can build some of the HUGE creations we've found online. I haven't found any yet, but I've only been looking for a couple of weeks. There were Tinker Toys and Lincoln Logs, so I've got hope that eventually I might find some.

The rest of the week was busy. Too busy to even turn on my sewing machine.

Our owl friend hasn't returned. The boys have been checking that tree every night, just in case.

And I've finally found a pair of low heels that I can walk in without wobbling my knee. Yup, I filched them from Grandma's closet.

Weekly Stash Report 

Fabric Used this Week: 0 yards
Fabric Used year to Date: 0 yards
Added this Week: 0 yards
Added Year to Date: 34 yards
Net Added for 2014: 34 yards

Yarn Used this Week:   0 yards
Yarn Used year to Date: 1200 yards
Yarn Added this Week: 0 yards
Yarn Added Year to Date: 0 yards
Net Used for 2014: 1200 yards

This post is linked to Patchwork Times.

5 comments:

Kate said...

Sounds like you had a fun time just browsing in the thrift shop.

I can relate to the heels issue. Drama Teen had knee surgery last August and had to have shoes for a dance last night. She ended up in flats.

Suze said...

How sweet of you to let the other lady have the wooden knitting needles even though you probably would have blessed somebody else with them. It's delightful to imagine the glow on the lady's face with her score. Often the small things in life give some of the biggest joys and blessings. You made my heart full of joy at your letting the lady have the needles. This past wee at Discipleship class, we were asked to think about what we could do for those at our gate (community)? Often we do much more for those beyond our gates than those at our gates and then wonder why some of the situations exist that do. Blessings!

Anonymous said...

What a great find! I love browsing through thrift shops and finding little things like that.

Angie in SoCal said...

Progress comes when least expected. And your progress this week was finding those shoes. Blessings, Michelle.

Alison said...

Sounds like you made her day!

I ran into an old friendly acquaintance last week, the receptionist at the pediatrician's (my youngest is now 26) and she reminded me wistfully that I had once promised to knit her something (after admiring the Abstract Fibers yarn in my hands in a waiting room.)

She didn't remember, but I did: I had indeed, and it was while the fun fur craze was going on. I bought some (a little against my better judgement) and it matched what she was wearing, so I knitted it up for her.

She was courteously grateful for the gift but it was clear to me that she was disappointed. That has bugged me ever since, but not enough to do something about it.

She has completely forgotten it. Somehow that makes me feel like I've got a second chance now, I can make something a lot better without it being, gee, hon, that last effort was a total fail foisting that stuff on you here let me try again.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails