Tuesday, May 03, 2016

Meet Old Blue


When Hubby and I first got married twenty-five years ago, he had a set of blue kitchen utensils. There was a can opener and a set of measuring cups and probably a few other pieces. Over the years, they've all been replaced.

Old Blue is still with us. It didn't get a name until recently, but it's starting to have sentimental value. This is the spatula we always reach for. Those melted spots -- they're mostly my fault. I've replaced it more than once, but they don't seem to make this style of spatula anymore and I haven't been able to find a new version that I can stand. Whenever we're at estate sales and I find a nylon one in good shape and for a decent price, I bring it home. But when I need to cook something, this is the one I use.

At this point, it's got so much sentimental value that I'm on the edge of retiring it for safekeeping. Because if something happens to Old Blue, I'll be sad.

Do you cling to silly things that are way past their prime? Or is it just me?

2 comments:

The Slow Quilter said...

Yes, I do. I am holding on to a plate, this one white or use-to-be white plate that my grandmother always used. Keep old blue safe.

Amanda Best said...

I completely understand about Old Blue! My kitchen table is the main thing I can think of that is like that for me. My Granny bought it for my Mom, and there has been so many memories made gathered around it, the sweet and the sad, that even though it is pretty banged up I love it and have no desire it replace it.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails