Wednesday, January 18, 2017

{Yarn Along} A Mystery Skein of Opal


Opal Sock Yarn

I've been wondering what this skein of sock yarn would do when I finally got around to casting on. The label was intact, but I couldn't figure out which part of it would give me the information I needed, beyond the fact that it's Opal. If I'm remembering right, this is one of the skeins I picked up for a buck at an estate sale back in 2009. If it's not from that estate sale, it's from the box my great-aunt gave to me and Teenage Daughter about the time we were moving down here. Either way, it's been in my stash for a long time and I'm happy to be knitting it up.




Someone is Watching by Joy Fielding

Bailey Carpenter has always been confident and determined. Until that night when, crouched in the bushes to gather  incriminating evidence against a deadbeat dad, she is brutally attacked from behind.  After her physical wounds begin to heal, she can barely bring herself to leave her condo. Every man she comes into contact with is a potential suspect. The police have no physical evidence and are making no progress towards finding her rapist. She lives in constant fear, barely to separate nightmares from the actual events of her day. As her condition deteriorates, her half-sister and niece move in with her. Watching Bailey unravel and lose control of her own life  is sad and unsettling. Her reality-television niece is way too curious about the attack and watches 1000 Ways to Die constantly. (I saw two minutes of that show once and apparently just the mention of it is still enough to make me uncomfortable.) Someone is Watching is one of the most intense thrillers I've read in a long time, and one of the gloomiest, but it's also one of the best, especially the ending.



Scheduled to Death by Mary Feliz.

When a client's fiance is found electrocuted in his home laboratory, Maggie is determined to help the professor clear his name. There's no shortage of suspects or motives -- a lot of people are after Lincoln Sinclair's property and whoever was responsible for the murder doesn't seem likely to stop with only one victim. I absolutely loved the first Maggie McDonald mystery, but this book is missing the strong focus on Maggie's family that drew me to the series in the first place.

Disclosure -- I got Someone is Watching from the library. I was provided with an advance review copy of Scheduled to Death by the publisher. All opinions are my own. This post is linked to Patchwork Times, Yarn Along, Crazy Mom Quilts , Wrap up Friday  

3 comments:

Leslie said...

I am so easily entertained by yarn like yours

Sharon said...

The socks are making an interesting and nice pattern

Dar said...

What an interesting yarn you are working with. It reminds me of morse code if you could use knitting to send messages. I like the way it is looking. I have to tell you that you are motivating me to get back to reading. Although I prefer real hardback books, I have settled for listening to audio books while I sew or do my exercises. This is working great. Thanks for the nudge.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails